Refugee and Immigration Services Volunteer Opportunities
Outreach English Teacher
3 month minimum commitment
- Help bring English learning opportunities to refugees who struggle to attend traditional English classes due to work schedules, family obligations, health challenges, or transportation barriers.
- Class times, locations, and sizes are flexible, based on refugee client and volunteer’s schedule.
- Teacher training is provided and access to structured English lesson materials is available.
- Free outings to practice English as they are related to the lessons
Citizenship Program Tutor
Flexible, all classes are currently M-F 9-5, sign up as you can volunteer on signupgenius site
- Assist Citizenship Program Manager with assessment testing
- Receive training and teach civics and literacy with provided lesson plans and activities
- Lead one-on-on and small group tutoring lessons during class times (potential opportunity for one-on-one tutoring outside of regularly scheduled class times)
- Assist Citizenship Program Manager with collecting and filing student work
- Receive training to act as a mock interviewer for Citizenship interview preparation
Refugee English Teacher
Weekly, 2 hours commitment, classes are Monday-Thursday, volunteers work one morning or one afternoon
- Following a curriculum, provide instruction to a group of adult refugee students. There are anywhere from 5-25 students in a class.
- Write a brief report at the end of the class to inform the next day’s teacher on how the class went.
- Report hours on a monthly basis.
- Curriculum and Training provided
Move In Teams
Commitment is flexible from 1/month to on call, move generally takes 1-2 hours and can be completed in the evenings and on the weekends
The Move-in Team will work together with their arranged team to load and unload a moving truck to set-up a home for a newly-arriving refugee family.
- Meet at Catholic Charities’ Hope Distribution Center and load truck with complete furnishings and supplies based on provided family demographics.
- Unload and arrange items to create a welcoming home.
- Assure Hope Distribution Center is kept neat and clean.
- Report Volunteer Service hours
Additional Team Leader Duties
- Communicate with your team and Catholic Charities to coordinate the move-in date/time
- Drive moving truck from the Hope Distribution Center to the move in location and back
- Assure Hope Distribution Center is properly secured
- Submit Volunteer Service hours for the team
Welcome Supply Drive!
If you’re busy and can’t commit to something regularly, host a supply drive for welcoming new families at your workplace, church, with your friends, etc.
- Paper Towels
- Trash bags
- Dish soap
- Laundry Detergent
- Household Cleaners
- Can openers
- Full size Bath Towels
- Waste Baskets (both kitchen & bathroom size)
- Brooms & dust pans
- Light bulbs
You can visit their website for more information: